Heidi, a New American Homemaker if there ever was one, loves to bake with and for her two couldn't-be-cuter sons, Shea and Griffin, and she sent me home last Saturday with this delectable glazed pound cake (recipe below). I love how she wrapped it in the cellophane gift bag tied with twine and added the cute label. So special—just like Heidi.
Lemon Coconut Pound Cake
from Southern Living magazine
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons+ lemon zest
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- I ADD 1/2 tsp+ Lemon Extract and 1/2 tsp+ Coconut Extract. (More can be used for a good punch of flavor.)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- 2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan. (Or into 4 mini loaf pans.)
- 3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 4. Spoon Lemon Glaze over cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut and lemon zest.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp Lemon Extract (more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp Coconut Extract (more to taste)
- Whisk together powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. milk, and fresh lemon juice, adding an additional 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, for desired consistency.